Sunday, December 20, 2009

Happy Holidays!


At the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge this Fall.

Dear former students,

It has been a great school year so far for me, and I certainly hope for you as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed the e-mails that some of you have sent my way as well as the comments on here. I must say that I have thought about updating this blog roughly 100 times in the past few months, but kept putting it off due to having way too much to say and do (plus not knowing where to start). So, here are the highlights:

- I ended the JetBlue "All-You-Can-Jet" Pass having flown 27 flights, 36,452 miles, 5 countries, 11 airports, seeing many great friends, and making priceless memories in one month - while working four days a week. It was the most amazing experience of my life.

- Came out to Westview for the Beaverton football game. Saw Jaye, Brandon, Russel, Nathan, Mary, and CJ (on the sidelines after the game). I also got to catch up with Mrs. DeFrance and her husband, as well as see Mr. Chamberlain and most of the football coaches. Good times!

- Was hired on for extra time at Marshall High School in Portland, where I am now tutoring in a Freshman English class in addition to the after school job there. It totals about 22 hours a week, which is obviously not a ton, but it is nice that I don't have a ridiculous amount of duties. I really love my job and working with the kids at Marshall - they are great people.

- Went to all of the Oregon Ducks football home games (after missing most of the start of the season due to flying). Saw former student Carson Kelly at one game - on an official visit for the baseball team, no less! The USC and Oregon State games in particular were INSANE. After we beat OSU, I booked my flights for the Rose Bowl, where I will be at on Jan. 1st with my brother. Yeah, I know that I am lucky.

- Saw the Blazers lose to Denver on the second night of the season in person. By the way, what the heck is happening to our boys this year? It is like the injury plague! Seems like they are battling through for the most part.

- Went up to Paine Field in Washington (a little North of Seattle, where the Boeing plant is), for a free tour that I won with my dad. I also ended up winning a $250 Alaska Airlines Gift Certificate as well!


At the "Future of Flight" museum at Paine Field, Washington. This is the entry point for the Boeing factory tour.

- Started a Twitter page (yes, I know... what is the world coming to?) You can find that here: http://twitter.com/LukeFritz64.

- Watched my Philadelphia Eagles clinch an NFL playoff spot this afternoon on TV (more specifically, watching the NFL Red Zone channel - if that channel had existed when I was in high school I am fairly certain I would not have graduated).
----

There is roughly a thousand other events in there (retreats, trips, events, etc) but I will spare you the details. Just know that I think of you all often and hope that all is well!

Period 1, can you believe that a little more than a year ago, I took over teaching your class and we had the snowed out week that pushed back the Rwanda speeches until after Winter Break? Hehe. I will always remember that.

The next year promises to be a busy one as well. In addition to finishing out the year strong with my group at Marshall, I will be looking for full time teaching work next year. I also have a trip to England for my Grandma's 80th birthday in February planned, as well as a trip to Princeton, New Jersey to see my brother graduate on the 1st of June. Throw in a possible trip to Washington DC over Spring Break, and it is possible that it will top 2009 as my most traveled year ever. It all starts off in Los Angeles at the Rose Bowl - look for me in Section 9, Row 16 on TV! :-)

I am not sure how many people still read this, but I promise to come back and keep updating in the future. For now, let me know that you visited and tell me what is going on with everyone! Have a great Winter Break! :-)

12 comments:

Abe said...

Awsome. Its gonna be a great Rose Bowl although the ducks are gonna crush Ohio State. Have fun

Luke Fritz said...

Hey Abe!

I really hope that the Ducks win. However, the entire thing is a win-win - you just can't beat winter vacations to SoCal. It's like an entirely different world down there!

zthompson said...

Mr. Fritz,
Looks like you are just livin' it up! I certainly envy all of that traveling, especially to Pasadena!

As far as the game itself goes-my money is definitely on the ducks. If you look at the teams the ducks have struggled with this year, they all have one thing in common: pro style quarterbacks (BSU, UA, OSU). Terrel Pryor of Ohio State is not the typical pro style quarterback. Since the Ducks' scout team plays against Masoli each week in practice, they know how to play defense against the Scrambling quarterback. Also, Ohio State's defense is simply not good enough to shut down an offense with three guys who can rush for over 100 yards per game, and with Masoli passing so well lately, we have a very balanced, unpredictable, and potent offense.

GO DUCKS!

(I must say, as a USC fan, that I am strongly disappointed with the play of the Trojans, however, it is nice to see a little bit of change in the Pac-10.)

Luke Fritz said...

Zack,

As you know, I have the travel bug. It is just too much fun and too interesting!

I think the game will be very interesting. Ohio State's rushing defense is very, very good. Obviously, the Ducks rushing attack is also, very, very good. It would surprise me if whoever wins that match up does not win the game.

USC will be back - they just might take a year or two to mature. What they did this last decade was just ridiculous. I am looking forward to see if they can play the Emerald Bowl with heart.

Have a great break - thanks for checking in!

Unknown said...

wow, Mr. Fritz is just having a ball up there I see! HA! Hopefully your getting out to some warmer places! :) Believe it or not it has been quite cold here. Actually the other day (yesterday) we had a storm come in, and a really bad dust storm on the way to tempe (thank the lord I went the day before) anyways there was a 20 CAR PILE UP! i think they said 16 people died? People don't know what to do in a duststorm. THATS WHY. Luckly drivers ed came in handy ;) Im actually staying home for Christmas (which seems to be a miracle because this is my real home and were always traveling to see family. No need now!) So far i've actually have had 2 Christmas's? ha one with my grandma and one with her friend in Tempe. I wrapped presents for her because she can't anyways we had alittle Christmas over there. I will have had 4 by the New Year! :) I've been following the Ducks for a while. On my birthday party they were playing U of A! (yuck) of course I was rootin for the DUCKS! my friends were like why ducks? First of all I don't like the U of A im and ASU girl myself. (which is ironic because i have a whole bunch of westview wildcats, red white and blue, that I can't really wear because it looks like U of A! DAH!) haha. But sounds like your just living the high life Fritz! Hopefully i'll be comming up to visit soon. if not for sure next summer! :)

Luke Fritz said...

Jazmyne,

Great to hear from you! I am very excited to head down to the sunny weather in California - right now it is in the 30s and foggy in Portland. I need to be able to wear shorts again!

That is crazy about the dust storm! I am glad that you weren't caught up in it. Do you have your license yet?

Too funny about having a bunch of red and blue Wildcat stuff. I do too, but did not even make that connection until you just did.

Glad to hear everything is going well for you! Let us know when you head back to our little corner of the world up here! :-)

Unknown said...

i'm glad to announce that only 3 people ended up dying. I haven't gotten my license. I just got my permit and my grandmother has actually been letting me drive. I've been driving around like crazy. I have to go through the whole 6 month process again so i wasn't able to get my license when I turned 16 (frowny face.

I am hoping to make it up there at least a week in the summer. Maybe towards the end after I work this summer. I do not know yet though it all depends.

I'll make sure to keep everyone updated though! :)

Morgan McClincy said...

Hey, just wanted to say, Hi! I think this was a great idea. Hope everything is well.

Morgan

Scout Clair said...

Heyyyyyyyy everybody!!!! It's been such a long time since i've been on here and just wanted to see how everybody is! I really miss last year :(

Luke Fritz said...

Morgan and Scout,

It is great to see that you remembered to check in on the blog! I will definitely have to write a new post if people are going to be interested in what is going on. I really want to come out to Westview before the end of the year, so I check back to see if I can make that happen! Hope all is well! :-)

Scout and Morgan said...

hey this is Morgan and Scout! yea i know i actually think i will be coming on daily maybe so yea we need to get everybody else to talk on this again!

Luke Fritz said...

Scout and Morgan,

Wow, daily might be difficult to have new things for you guys to check out! The most important thing to do, if you want to keep the site going, is to post your own content to the front page. Morgan has author ability, so she can post anything she wants to the front page - go ahead and do that and invite people to come check it out!

On my end, I'm thinking that I might be able to make it out to Westview (FINALLY) for a little bit next Wednesday. I have to ask Ms. DeFrance if that would work, but I don't see any road blocks at this point. I'll update this weekend when I know more. :-)